It sure went fast! Amidst all the getting to know everyone, getting used to the iPad and note-taking, fine-tuning my bike commute (it takes longer to come home, with all the uphill!), and trying to wrap my head around all the assignment due dates, there were some lovely little nuggets from this first week that I want to hold onto.
As the term goes on, I’m sure it will be more and more difficult to see the forest for the trees, but right now, we have this gift of the calm before the storm. I’m sure I’ll be turning back to this list over and over again as we continue over the next 15 months.
- 90% of all questions can be answered with either “It depends” or “Wash your hands.”
- Hold onto truth lightly.
- We are on the frontline of creating new nursing roles for ourselves. Put nursing to work in the parts of our lives we already love. What takes our breaths away?
- Make time for reflective practice.
- Bring everything you are. But it’s not about you.
- Ask your questions. Stay curious. There are lots of right answers.
- Get comfortable being uncomfortable.
- You can’t be a cowboy/girl if you’re afraid of how you look on the horse.
- Lean into your fellow students for support. Now is not the the time to be the lone wolf. Learn to work in the wolf pack.
- Trust the process.
- Sloooow. Down.